Developer Area

Other apps (#13) - GoogleMaps with .tel (#16) - Message List

GoogleMaps with .tel

Google Maps already reads locations in .tel domains. Why not sync up the big GoogleMaps and all .tel domain content? Contact data stored in a domain for this address gets displayed in a popup in Google maps, .tel keywords get indexed and help find places, etc. Fields in .tel look just like "Edit Details" in GMaps. Google indexes all .tels, why not run a script on all domains with addresses, say, once a day, to sync up info between .tel and Google map info. Or do it some other way.

• Message #17

I must be missing something here... What do you mean that Google Maps already reads locations in .tel domains?

Google as of now still doesn't index .tel domains the correct way, i.e. reading directly from the DNS. It currently indexes the data as seen from the web proxy, which is inherently more prone to errors. It works and you can see existing demo .tel domains on Google, but there's no point currently in Google indexing a pre-release TLD.

Also I don't understand what you mean by syncing info between .tel and Google map info. A .tel can store geolocation info, which can in turn be displayed by Google Maps. There's no synchronization necessary, unless you're talking about searching for a .tel in Google, which goes back to Google indexing the .tel.

• Message #18

Is Google going to index DNS directly after .tel launches?

By data synchronization I meant pulling info from .tel domains and adding into Google Maps, so that when you type "pizzahut ny", you get addresses from pizzahut.tel, and not addresses manually added by Pizzahut communications team or posted to their website.

• Message #23

Hi,

If I am understood well. GoogleMap? doesn't read .tel domain. But if you read the doc, you will find a special record, LOC record, which will contains latitude and longitude from the domain owner. And when your client application will receive this record, it will be able to contact GoogleMap? and transmit this informations, and you will see where is the domain owner.

Maybe with this example it will be better : http://telnic.tel/

Telnic
Search This Site
Partners
Neustar
ICANN
Main site | WHOIS | Sell .tel | FAQ | Archived Site | About Telnic | Contact Us